Thursday 31 August 2017

Being forced to draw!!

I'm not really ever forced to draw -  but this week away in the Peaks that we have just had was one such time as I fell down the tiny non-step at the holiday cottage we rented and really badly hurt my ankle. I ended up at the Minor Injuries Hospital at Buxton and had to spend the rest of the holiday on crutches and going for drives with ice around the very sore ankle... not good for a pair of walkers!  It was pretty ropey weather too so actually, it made me stay still and just spend time looking. 

Its great to do a drawing. I rarely think about developing these kind of sketchbook ones up into a paper cut as they are about something different than that kind of work. For me drawing plants you then and there in a moment. I could have taken a photo but it wouldn't convey the feelings and the feelings of the memories of these places as much as these drawings do. I can remember the instances much more clearly if I have made a drawing there. Its taken years to bat off the gremlin on my shoulder that knocks my confidence in my ability to draw and sketch like this. Being 50 helped! Age puts things into perspective and you just think what the heck and plough on. I have a little sketchbook full of these. They are intensely personal and if there was a fire - its them I would reach for before anything that had been manufactured!


Looking to Chelmorton......

In the car on the top of Snake Pass

Little drawing of the back garden at the cottage in Monyash

No comments:

Post a Comment